In a brief departure from our community association industry topics, I would like to take a moment to let you know about a cause that is personally important to me as a pet owner and friend to animals, as well as Joyleih and Sophia, our legal beagles. The excellent work being done by the Animal Legal Defense Fund includes advocating for a new “Animal Bill of Rights” in the U.S. Congress, which is summarized as follows:
- The right of animals to be free from exploitation, cruelty, neglect and abuse.
- The right of companion animals to a healthy diet, protective shelter, and adequate medical care.
- The right of wildlife to a natural habitat, ecologically sufficient to a normal existence and a self-sustaining species population.
- The right of animals to be free from cruel and unnecessary experimentation and testing.
- The right of animals to have their interests represented in court and safeguarded by the law of the land.
Please consider adding your name in support of the Animal Bill of Rights and donating what you can, as I have, in support of this terrific organization.